September 8, 2010

Bill's Teriyaki Steak

This is my father-in-law's famous recipe. It's the dish everyone wants when we visit him (in addition to his creme brulee!).
I've always been a bit intimidated by cooking steak, and as a result, I've not done it very much. But these little steak strips are pretty easy and cook quickly. Bill uses an outdoor grill. I use my grill pan. Both work well.

Bill's Teriyaki Steak
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of flank steak or less
  • 1 can beef broth or consume
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed (or equivalent amount of garlic salt)
  • 1 bunch scallions, sliced about 1/2 inch
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Slice meat diagonally into 1” thick strips.
Mix remaining ingredients well. Marinate the steak in a dish or zip-lock bag in the refrigerator. (He never told me how long to marinate. I like to do it a few hours to be sure the meat is really flavorful. Make this mid-morning and let it sit in the fridge til you're ready to grill.)

Spray grill with cooking spray. Cook steaks 3 to 4 minutes on each side or to desired doneness. Check one of them; thin ones and ends will be more done than middle sections and larger ones.


Here I have served it with tabbouleh salad and sauteed zucchini.

4 comments:

jess said...

Looks yummy! Too bad you're in Germany or I just might drop by for dinner! ;)

Mandy said...

wow that looks delicious! I got a grill/panini press and I have loved it. I will have to use this recipe! I am intimidated by flank steak because I have cooked it several times and it always comes out really tough. Maybe this marinade really tenderizes the flank--or maybe I've just gotten bad cuts before. Anyhow I am going to try this.

Jaimie said...

Yum. We eat steak quite a bit. I'll have to try this marinade. Yours looks good. :)

Emily Petty said...

I'm awful with steak too - I think it's partly because I have no idea what cuts to buy or what makes a good cut. This marinade looks good - I think I'll have to try it - I like the idea of cooking in strips too!