September 23, 2010

Homemade Mac & Cheese with Mix-Ins

This is not fancy or gourmet; it's comfort food. I took the plain old Mac & Cheese recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, and with the noodles I threw in some extras. Here are some ideas:
  • frozen thawed mixed vegetables
  • sliced green onions
  • cooked sausage, ham or bacon pieces
You can use whatever you want or have on hand. These additions make the dish a more complete meal, plus they add lots of color. I've heard it said that you eat with your eyes first, and that is really true. You want to have a good balance of colors on the plate.

Use any homemade mac & cheese recipe you have or like. I haven't included the Betty Crocker one here because it's not extraordinary, and I'm sure you've all made this before.

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

I totally make homemade mac and cheese as a side quite regularly. My girls love it.

Harmony said...

This looks nasty in the photo. Yuck!