I saw this recipe in this month's issue of Cooking Light, and was intrigued. I've never even heard of oatmeal pancakes before, but what a great idea. It's a good alternative to the regular because it provides a different type of grain and adds a bit of texture. My altered version of the original recipe is below (click the title to see the original). My kids love these.The batter may seem like it needs additional flour. I've found that if your griddle is nice and hot when you pour the batter on, they puff up nicely and no extra flour is needed. I think it also does help to use quick-cooking oats rather than old-fashioned, if you have them.
Oatmeal Pancakes
Yield: 3 servings (serving size: 4 pancakes)
Ingredients
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup quick-cooking oats
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup nonfat buttermilk (I use milk or soy milk)
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1 large egg
• Cooking spray
Preparation
1. Combine buttermilk, butter, and egg in a large measuring cup. Add oats and let sit for a minute. Add the rest of the dry ingredients*, stirring just until moist.
2. Heat a nonstick griddle over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 2 1/2 tablespoons batter per pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles; cook until bottoms are lightly browned.
*The truth is, I rarely combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl like most recipes say to. I'm just too lazy and don't want to dirty another bowl. I think it's good enough if you add to the wet mixture all the small measurements like baking sodas and spices. Stir those together. Then add the flour and stir just until moist. That way you can be sure the leavening agents have been evenly distributed. I'd appreciate anyone's comments on this aspect.
3 comments:
Holy cow, there are tons of posts on here I haven't seen! Did you just add a bunch or have I just not been here in a while??
These pancakes look good. I totally never, EVER combine the dry stuff in a separate bowl. No way am I going to wash another big bowl for that. I just do the same as you say, mix in the little things first, then flour last. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my stuff turns out okay, so whatever.
Oatmeal pancakes are great - I like you're recipe and I never mix things separate either - too lazy, it probably makes a small difference, but not enough for me to care!
Making these for me and the girls this morning. I'm excited. :)
Post a Comment