This is a healthy Mediterranean salad that I really like. It's full of fresh flavors and ingredients, and would be a good accompaniment to grilled meat. It can be eaten cold or at room temperature. You'll want to buy the fresh flat-leaf parsley and a real lemon for the zest. I don't think it would be very good with the pantry substitutes.(Mandy: Do you know where to buy bulgar in Germany??)
There are a lot of variations on this idea; just google to find them. You could add chicken or feta, or change it up however you like.
Tabbouleh Salad
1 1/2 cups bulgar wheat (fine-medium grind)
1 1/2 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
1 cup chopped seedless cucumber
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Place bulgar in large bowl and add 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Cover; let stand, covered, 30-45 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Cover and chill 1 hour before serving.
3 comments:
LOL Harmony!! Of course I know where to find Bulgar! I always got it at Toom, the one in Griesheim just down the road from where we used to live. It used to be located along the right side wall of the store, past the produce, in the section along with the international foods: Mexican, Thai, etc. It's called "Bulgur, mittelfein geschrotet". I have not made this in a long time, thanks for reminding me of this great summer salad.
What the heck is bulgar? And where do I get it? Asian isle?
I am making this recipe today! I have a parsley plant that I somehow either over-watered or let it have too much sunlight, so I need to use up the parsley before the plant totally dies. I bet it will be delicious!!! Hope you are doing well :-)
Post a Comment