May 25, 2010

Baker's Chocolate Chunk Cookies

This is my current favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (my photo). It turns out right for me every time, and when I serve the cookies to guests they're always gone very quickly. This recipe is pretty quick and easy to put together too. Freshly made, they're crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, and simply cookie perfection.

It's important to let the butter sit out on the counter and come to room temperature. The temperature of the butter makes all the difference. If you oversoften or even slightly melt it in the microwave, your cookies will be flat and ugly. And don't grease the pan either, which will also cause the cookies to spread too much.

I usually keep the dough in the fridge for several days and bake up fresh cookies when I want them. Or you can form the dough balls, flatten them, and freeze them on a cookie sheet. When you're ready to cook, just put the frozen dough on a pan straight into the heated oven (adjust cooking time). It's great to have frozen cookie dough on hand for last minute guests. It's better than freezing cookies that have already been baked.

At the Commissary, where I shop, the prices for things don't always make sense. Some things that would be more expensive at a store in the states are less expensive here. A bag of chocolate chunks was actually cheaper than a bag of chocolate chips, so that's what I get. This recipe was on the back of the Baker's bag. I think the chunks make the cookies really special and delicious, probably because they're bigger than chips. Anyway, if you ever see chocolate chunks on sale, try them.

Baker's Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 & 3/4 cups flour (I've used 3/4 c whole wheat)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
chocolate chunks or chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt until well blended; set aside.
  3. Beat butter, white sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate and walnuts. Drop spoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets.
  4. Bake: I use a small cookie scoop, and only bake for 9-10 minutes. Recipes says tablespoonfuls for 11-12 min. Take into account the size of your dough balls, and know your oven. Bake until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute and transfer to wire racks.
Makes about 3 dozen.

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

Ugh! I am SO tired of trying and trying chocolate chip cookie recipes and still not finding "the one." Frustrating! I tried some the other day that were just okay--nothing too great. Maybe I should try this. Or... you do it at mom's. Then I won't have a whole batch for just my family. :)

Elise said...

Just made them and they are yummy! Mine came out a little flat and I think its b/c I cooked them on a piece of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet. It couldn't have been the butter b/c I let it soften to room temp. Any suggestions?? I could use the help!

Jaimie said...

I'm trying these today. :)