November 3, 2009

Toasting Pumpkin Seeds

In past years I have tried many different ways of toasting pumpkin seeds, including soaking them in water before baking to soften them. Usually they are almost too woody to eat. This year I found the best way yet. I followed the instructions on this video, toasting at 225 for 50 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. I then raised the temp to 350/400 to get them browned, cooking for about another 10 minutes. Just watch them. They were still slightly woody, but much improved from the other ways I've tried. I'm also wondering if seeds from smaller pumpkins are more edible, since that's a smaller pumpkin in the video. I've only ever tried it with jack-o-lantern seeds.

3 comments:

BrookieT said...

I used a recipe this year that tells you to boil them first, then bake for 10 minutes. Just did it yesterday, but it didn't get them too crunchy or brown...

Mandy said...

I will definitely have to try this. I really hate woody pumpkin seeds, esp. after you go to all the trouble to clean all the slimy pumpkin innards from them, only to be disappointed by chewy seeds....

Mandy said...

Just stopping by, a year later, because we are carving our pumpkin right now. Hoping this turns out yummy! :-)