October 19, 2012

Apple Chips

These are better than dried fruit because they're actually thin and crispy like chips.  They're delicious, healthy, and easy.  My kids ate them all up in about one minute.  I only wish I could fit more on the pan at one time.  If you let them overlap on the pan, they will take longer to crisp up.  I think it's very important to cut the slices thin enough.  If they're too thick they either won't be crispy, or they'll be really hard.  I used my mandoline slicer.

I loved the way the apples were cut in the photo above; they make use of the core and they look pretty too.

Ingredients

  • 2 apples, sliced crosswise 1/8-inch thick, seeds removed

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 225 degrees. Arrange apple slices on two parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
  2. Flip, then continue baking until crisp, about 1 hour more. Remove and let cool completely. Chips keep, stored in an airtight container, 1 week.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

And dried fruit typically has a ton of added sugar. I will have to try those, they look yummy!

Milly said...

And so pretty too. :) I'm glad you found this. I love my dehydrator. Although I have a hard time wanting to do apples. They are SO good, but they get eaten up so fast. A huge tray of them makes not that much and they are gone in no time.

Milly said...

Oops, this is Jaimie.