July 21, 2011

Spinach Dip

My sister, sis-in-law, and I recently threw a ladies lunch party for my mom's 50th birthday. On the menu: chicken salad croissants, waldorf salad, vegetable tray and dip, lemon tarts, strawberry tarts, mini cheesecakes, and raspberry lemonade.

For the vegetable tray, I wanted a dip a little more exciting and classy than ranch. I found this recipe on FoodNetwork.com, and it was perfect! All the guests loved this, especially Great-Grandma. It's great with vegetables, but even better with salty tortilla chips or crackers, or crusty bread pieces.

*Update: I just made this with only a portion of the dried thyme, and it was way too much.  Next time I'd leave out the thyme altogether at first, and then just add it to taste. (Jan. 2013)

SPINACH DIP

Ingredients

  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions (white portion only)
  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 to 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves*
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
  • Paprika

Directions

In a blender or food processor, finely mince the garlic and scallions. Add the remaining ingredients, except the paprika and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Refrigerate for up to 2 days. Just before serving, stir the dip well and place in serving bowl. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how this could be anything but delicious. I can't wait to try it. And I am still bummed I missed your party. :(