May 29, 2008

Waldorf Salad

I was asked last year to bring Waldorf Salad to a friend's baby shower. I had never had a Waldorf Salad before, but found this recipe and now I'm in love! Wow, it is SO good! It's the perfect side for a summer meal or sandwich lunch because it's light, fresh and beautiful. Don't make any substitutions (including fresh parsley), and I promise you won't be disappointed. Note: I usually cut the apples into bite-sized pieces, not like the slices shown here.

Waldorf Salad
  • 1/2 cup walnuts halves
  • 1/2 cup non-fat yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 lemon, zest finely grated
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 large crisp apples, such as Gala
  • 2 ribs celery (with leaves), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (leaves chopped)
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 head Boston lettuce, trimmed, washed, and dried
Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.

Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool and break the nuts up into small pieces.

Whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, honey, and lemon zest in a large bowl and season generously with pepper.

Halve, core, and cut the apples into 3/4-inch pieces, leaving the skin intact. Add the apples, celery and raisins to the bowl, and sprinkle with the lemon juice; then toss with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.

When ready to serve, toss walnuts into the salad. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter, or divide them among 4 salad plates. Place the salad on the lettuce and serve.

4 comments:

BrookieT said...

I remember you making this! It was for Emily's shower, wasn't it? It was delish!

Petty Family said...

Hey! That was good salad - I got the recipe for you - I didn't realize that was your first time making it...I feel honored!

Mandy said...

I'm making this for a lunch I am making for friends this friday. It looks delish! Oh and I love your layout...I might steal it from you ;-)

Mandy said...

WOAH this was totally awesome. Thanks so much for the recipe, it got rave reviews. We'll definitely be making this again!!!