May 23, 2008

Classic Movie Recommendations

If you are new to classic movies and want to become acquainted with them, below I have listed some that would be good to start with. To those of you who love classic movies like I do, you know I am leaving out a lot from this list! Keep in mind that this is just an intro. Also, feel free to add your favorite titles in the Comments section. These titles are linked to their TCM page where you can read the summary and view clips and trailers.

Film Noir Mysteries: There are tons of film noir, and most of them are good.
The Big Sleep (1946) Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall
Double Indemnity (1944) Fred MacMurray & Barbara Stanwyck
Mildred Pierce (1945) Joan Crawford
Dark Passage (1947) Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall

Alfred Hitchcock Mysteries:
Some of these are better than others. I like:
North by Northwest (1959) Cary Grant
Psycho (1960) Janet Leigh
Vertigo (1958) James Stewart & Kim Novak
Marnie (1964) Tippi Hedren & Sean Connery
The Birds (1963) Tippi Hedren
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) James Stewart & Doris Day
To Catch a Thief (1955) Cary Grant & Grace Kelly
I'm still working on seeing more of the Hitchcocks.

Misc:
All About Eve (1950) Bette Davis & Ann Baxter
Adam's Rib (1949) Spencer Tracy & Katherine Hepburn
Charade (1963) Audrey Hepburn & Cary Grant
The Women (1939) all star cast -- Joan Crawford +
Gone With the Wind (1939) Civil War period film; it's 3:40 hours, but very good. Vivien Leigh & Clark Gable
Miracle on 34th Street (1947) Maureen O'Hara & Natalie Wood
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1938) my favorite Shirley Temple movie, LOVE IT
Heidi (1937) Shirley Temple
It's a Wonderful Life (1946) not one of my top, but it's very famous, good message. James Stewart & Donna Reed
Wait Until Dark (1967) For an old movie, this is scary! Very good. Audrey Hepburn stars
Yours, Mine, and Ours (1968) Lucille Ball & Henry Fonda comedy

World War II Era:
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) all star cast -- Myrna Loy +
So Proudly We Hail! (1943) Claudette Colbert
Mrs. Miniver (1942) Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon
I Was a Male War Bride (1949) Cary Grant & Ann Sheridan

Disney 1960s:

Pollyanna (1960) Hayley Mills
Parent Trap (1961) Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith
Mary Poppins (1964) Julie Andrews & Dick Van Dyke
Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
Summer Magic (1963) Hayley Mills
Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971) Angela Lansbury
The Gnome-Mobile (1967) this is a kids movie

Musicals
:
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) Judy Garland-- this is one of her best films.
The Sound of Music (1965) Julie Andrews
The Wizard of Oz (1939) Judy Garland
The King and I (1956) Deborah Kerr & Yul Brynner
South Pacific (1958) Mitzi Gaynor
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) Jane Powell & Howard Keel
The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964) Debbie Reynolds
Brigadoon (1954) Gene Kelly & Cyd Charisse
Singin' in the Rain (1952) not my favorite, but it's a classic. Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds
--These above are all in color. If you are interested in the B&W musicals, anything with Fred Astaire would give you a good taste. One I really like is Holiday Inn (1942).

5 comments:

Jaimie said...

Good list!
Seems like everyone should see The Miracle Worker (1962) with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke. There is a newer version of this film that's not as good.
White Christmas (1954, Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen, Rosemary Clooney) is a great christmas musical.

Jaimie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaimie said...

Other great black and whites:
The Heiress (1949) Montgomery Clift, Olivia de Havilland
Suddenly, Last Summer (1950) Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Mongomery Clift

BrookieT said...

What an extensive list! I also LOVE Bye, Bye Birdie with Dick Van Dyke and Ann Margaret. It's a musical in color. I was excited to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on your list- that one is one of my favorites, escpecially since my Dad starred as Adam Pontipee in a production when I was about 10 years old. I love the idea of this blog of yours!

Petty Family said...

What a fun list to compile - I've seen several, but you're definitely ahead of me, I'll have to catch up - good thing they have netflix in Germany.