April 1, 2009

All That Heaven Allows (1955)

I just watched this love story starring Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson. I thought this was a most awkward pairing; they had no chemistry. Every time they kissed I wanted to puke. Jane Wyman looked old and her hair was dyed an awful red. At the time this movie was made Wyman was 38 and Hudson 30 (and in the story he is supposed to be a younger man). I found out they also made another movie together, prior to this one, called Magnificent Obsession (1954).

This is the first time I have seen Jane Wyman in a romantic role, and truthfully, I can't separate her from that "Aunt Polly" image, especially when she is older. I haven't seen too many of her movies, but I did see her in a Hitchcock called Stage Fright (1950) that I enjoyed. If you didn't know, Jane Wyman was married to Ronald Reagan for 8 years in the 1940s and they had 2 children together (one biological, one adopted).

In addition to the uncomfortable casting in this movie, the lines between the two leads were cheesy, nearly painful at times, and it just plain wasn't that good.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

Well thanks for watching it for me Harm. I'll remember not to get that one on Netflix.

Emily Petty said...

I always love hearing your classic movie recommendations, or non-recommendations as the case may be, you know so much about this movie genre - I thought I did, but it's absolutely nothing compared to you!!

BrookieT said...

This is very good to know! You know a lot about those old time actors...impressive!

Rachel said...

I got a good knee-slapping laugh out of the kissing and wanting to puke! Thanks!!!