February 25, 2009

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

If you like this type of soup, this is a good solid recipe. It's easy and has few ingredients. I didn't have Velveeta so I put in some shredded cheddar. I also threw in a little cauliflower that I needed to use up.



Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Ingredients
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (16-ounce) package broccoli florets
  • 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)

Preparation

Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.

Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.

Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I'm trying this today!