Although I admit I most always prefer a dessert containing chocolate, this is one of my
favorite cakes! It is easy to make and SO good. The frosting is wonderful too. I always use all whole wheat flour in the cake; it gives it a nuttier flavor. Then if you substitute the vegetable oil for canola oil (
a healthy oil), plus your carrots, it's arguably a healthy dessert (at least, that's what I like to think). Try it, you'll love it.
Carrot Cake- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour, white or whole wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
Cream together the sugar, eggs, and oil. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Combine the two mixtures. Stir in carrots and nuts. Pour into greased and floured 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes. Let cool, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Makes 12 servings.
Cream Cheese Frosting- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream the softened cream cheese. Blend with butter. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat well. Spread over cake.
(Recipe from The Essential Mormon Cookbook)Here is my sweet little niece with the carrot cake on her 1st birthday. Happy Birthday, Hallee!
1 comment:
What a QT pie! I have always loved carrot cake but been too chicken to try to make it. I might have the guts to now!
Post a Comment