June 8, 2008

Curry-Coconut Sauce

I found this recipe in Real Simple magazine 2 years ago. I have made it many times for company and for us. It's a no-fail recipe, and everyone who has tried it has loved it. Combine this sauce with stir-fried vegetables/meats and serve over rice. If you don't like a slight heat, reduce the amount of red pepper flakes. Look in your grocery store's Asian food section for coconut milk. Usually I use a few sprinkles of dried basil for the fresh.

Curry-Coconut Sauce

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 1/4 cups light coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Preparation
Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until hot for 30 seconds. Add the pepper flakes, lemon zest, garlic, and curry powder and stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, sugar, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the basil. Pour into a bowl.

Yield
Makes 4 servings

2 comments:

Elise said...

We just tried this tonight and it's amazing!!

Aubrey said...

Harmony, I made this for dinner tonight and Nick and I LOVED it. I used to dislike curry and coconut milk, but recently I have expanded my palate and begun to enjoy both. I've been looking for new meals to add into our regular rotation, and this one fits the bill. Thanks for helping me out of my rut! :)